Friday, March 4, 2011

Beastly

Oh, I have been waiting for this movie to come out!  Tonight I went to see it.  :) 

Beastly is based on a book of the same name by Alex Flinn.  I read the book a few years in high school.  Of course, I love everything Beauty and the Beast-related, regardless of how good or bad it is, but this movie really was spectacular.  I haven't seen every version of this story, but I will say flat-out that this is by far the best live action representation I have ever seen!

I loved the script of this movie.  Yes, it was based off of a book (and did a pretty dang well doing it), but the movie added some details that made the movie closer to the original story than even the book did.  I loved that.

The acting was fabulous.  I'm sad Will wasn't shown more, but I loved the phases each character had to go through.  I also like that we got to know Zola better.  I did, however, understand these characters more clearly than I did in the book.  That was a rather pleasant surprise.

The cinematography and lighting were pretty good.  They could have been better, but I really liked the "magic" scenes.  It didn't look animated at all.  In fact, I don't think they animated those scenes at all, it was all camera and editing work.  That was impressive.

His appearance was... interesting.  When I saw the first pictures of his tattoos and scars a few months ago, I thought, "Oh NO they're going to RUIN this!"  But, actually, they made it work.  I thought it was interesting that the witch put words and tattoos on him in addition to the slash-scars to make him ugly.  It was a rather unique portrayal of the Beast.

Overal rating of this fabulous movie: 9/10.  :)  Definitely one that I want to eventually add to my library!

GO SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment