Monday, January 10, 2011

Wolves, Boys, & Other Things That Might Kill Me

This book by Kristen Chandler is definitely a book worth reading!  A very quick read, the main character is incredibly believable.  I seriously cannot rave enough about how real she is.  She has a social disorder, which is never said outright, but is absolutely obvious.  I wonder why nobody ever took her to the doctor to get something for it.  Anywho, much of the story is about regular feelings and worries of a sixteen-year-old girl.

However, there's another element to the story that just makes it shine--the wolves of Yellowstone.  This book is essentially about how this girl affects something that actually happened.  Wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone as a program to help the park regain ecological stability.  This really happened in the real world, and this book sheds some light on how people felt about it, on both sides.

The thing I love most about this book is, it's not fantasy, science-fiction, or of the supernatural persuasion in any way at all.  Yet, it's incredibly intriguing and fun to read.  Most of my life, I've read about characters like Morgan le Fay, Harry Potter, and Raoden.  But this book is so real it makes me crave more.  It seems to touch home a little more than the wizards and vampires.

Of course, that doesn't mean I've turned away from fantasy, or that I love it any less.  I'm actually about to read another by Cassandra Cane.  It's just nice to know that there are stories about normal people in situations that really could happen.  And that they can be incredibly interesting and fun to read. :)

The only downside to this book is that the relationship between some of the characters are a tad exaggerated, and the high school students talk more like they're eleven than sixteen.  They really annoyed me.

I really hope Mrs. Chandler keeps writing.  I'd love to read more of her stories!

My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment