Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Clearing

The Clearing by Heather Davis, described as a love story between two teens several decades apart, seemed like it could only be a wonderful book.

Hmm.  The verdict is still out on that one.  A wonderful story (yes, I'll give it this merit) about a girl that moves away from her mother and her abusive boyfriend to live with her great aunt in the country, she soon meets a boy her age across the clearing in 1944.  He's a perfect gentleman, but he's stuck in time.

I have to say that I loved the story Davis came up with.  I loved the twist near the end, and how she handled it.  Granted, had I written it, it would have been totally different, but I love that she brought the abusive boyfriend back.

However, with a love story like this, how can you have a happy ending?  How can the couple end up together?  Would you have one go back in time, or the other forward?  What would that do to the time stream?  I think that's what bothered me the most about this book.  It built up a perfect romance just to shatter it.  And my expectations.

I wasn't impressed with the writing itself.  I think it's nice that she tried to write it from two different perspectives, but they were written so similarly I often forgot which side of the story I was experiencing.  The descriptions were monotone and uninteresting.

At least it only took me 5 1/2 hours to read.  Had I been reading this for a month, I'd have been even more disappointed.

I do, however, absolutely love the cover.  I could do without "True Love Is Timeless," but I love the way it is formatted, with the clear picture of the girl in the middle, and the faded picture of the boy in the corner, the accents of the colors....  Yes.  That's great.

Overall, I give it a 4/10.  That's the best I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment