Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sacramento

The other day, I met a guy named Dallas.  Intrigued, I asked him if he was from Texas.  He gave me a funny look (though not rudely) and said no, he was from California.  We then launched into a conversation about names and how often he gets asked that question...

The same day, I met a guy named Austin.  Instinctively, I asked him if he was from Texas.  He looked at me like I was an idiot (rudely this time) and said, "No!" like it was an insult.  But, you know, I actually had a good reason for asking him.  He was wearing a Texas A&M shirt.  When I pointed that out, he said his cousin went there... as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

People with names like that should expect to be asked that at least every once in a while.  And if they are, they really shouldn't act like I'm an idiot for asking.

Oh, but it totally makes since that they were named after Texas cities. They were both from California.  They were too white to be Angeles or Diego.  Obviously, their mothers just didn't want to name the Sacramento.


Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment