Monday, May 17, 2010

Play in the Rain

There really isn’t anything like a Texas Thunderstorm. Before anything, the smell reaches you. It’s fresh and crisp, and you know a storm’s just around the corner.

The land itself changes color. Suddenly, there’s a green hue to everything. Even during the spring, when it’s green anyway, the air itself seems to suddenly have color, and it gets so thick and heavy that you feel as if you could drink the air instead of breathe it.
Then, it starts. Small rain drops start to fall to the ground, teasing you with what you know is coming. It gradually builds and builds, until the rain is made up of huge rockets of water that splash on the ground and make sure everything is saturated. Sometimes it falls so hard it pulls a lot of leaves off of the trees.

The music is my favorite part. The rolling, cracking thunder that reverberates all the way to my heart combines with the slapping of the rain to make the most soothing and exciting sound in the world. I’m not really sure how something can be soothing and exciting at the same time, but that’s how I feel during a storm. It’s almost like I go into a trance. I could just stare and stare out the window at it for hours.

It's the perfect time to grab a book and sit on the porch.  But then, it's also the perfect time to dance, or to sleep, or to write.  Sometimes it's hard to decide how to spend my rainy days.

Sometimes, I just have to choose them all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am right there with you! There is nothing like Texas rain! Soak it up girl!

    ReplyDelete